Jaime Munguia's latest junior middleweight title defense ended in success, but it might be the last time he'll ever fight at 154 pounds.
Munguia dominated Patrick Allotey, knocking him down multiple times, en route to Allotey's corner stopping the fight in the fourth round of the WBO 154-pound title fight. The fight headlined a DAZN card from Carson, California.
It was a fairly easy night for the Mexican champion, who scored two knockdowns in the third round to drop Allotey, who spent a good portion of the round trying to tell referee Jack Reiss he's been getting hit below the belt. Munguia continued to press the action and landed numerous combinations that made Allotey take a knee in the fourth round. Once Allotey got back up once more, his corner stepped in to stop the fight, awarding the victory to Munguia.
After the fight, Munguia was asked about his future at junior middleweight and said he will have to talk it over with his team. A run at middleweight had been brought up to Munguia throughout the entire year with potential fights against the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Gennadiy Golovkin and Demetrius Andrade, all middleweights who fight on DAZN.
“I need to talk with my promoter. First I need to talk to my team and then we’ll decide, but it could be the end,” Munguia said.
Below are the full results for the September 14 Golden Boy Promotions card from the Dignity Health Sports Park:
- Jaime Munguia defeated Patrick Allotey by TKO, round 4, 2:18 to retain the WBO junior middleweight title
- Franchon Crews-Dezurn defeated Maricela Cornejo by unanimous decision (98-92, 98-92, 97-93) to retain the WBC Female super middleweight title
- Romero Duno defeated Ivan Delgado by TKO, round 7, 3:00
- Joselito Velasquez defeated Francisco Bonilla by KO, round 4, 2:54
- Rafael Gramajo defeated Daniel Olea by TKO, round 4, 3:00
- Alejandro Reyes defeated Jorge Hugo Padron by KO, round 2, 1:55
- Diego Pacheco defeated Terry Fernandez by KO, round 3, 0:41