Another middleweight world title eliminator has been ordered for a title that Gennady Golovkin owns.
Last week it was the IBF ordering a 160-pound title eliminator between Sergiy Derevyanchenko vs. Tureano Johnson. This week it is Jermall Charlo starting his middleweight career with a WBC middleweight title eliminator against Jorge Sebastian Heiland.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman told World Boxing News that the fight has been ordered. Heiland also confirmed the news when he spoke to WBN.
“All we have right now is that the WBC ordered the fight as an eliminator and there is a chance that the bout happens in the month of July indeed, but not a specific day,” Heiland said.
Charlo is most recently coming off of a knockout win over Julian Williams last December. That was Charlo's final defense of the IBF light middleweight title he had won when he knocked out Cornelius Bundrage back in 2015
Heiland is also coming off of a knockout win over Mateo Damian Veron this past April, extending his win streak to eight fights. Heiland is a former WBC International middleweight titleholder.
Golovkin, holder of both the IBF and WBC titles, won't be fighting any mandatory challengers any time soon. He is defending his unified middleweight titles against Canelo Alvarez later on this year on September 16 in Las Vegas. Golovkin already took care of his WBA mandatory challenger, Daniel Jacobs, back in March.
- From The Web