Luke Campbell may be the mandatory challenger to Mikey Garcia's WBC lightweight title, but Campbell isn't sitting in his home waiting for the title opportunity.
Campbell spoke to Sky Sports about what his plans are after winning a title eliminator for the WBC title earlier this year. Campbell stated that he will keep on fighting until he gets his owed shot at the title.
"We're not waiting for Mikey to make his decision/move. We're in the right position, but will continue to do what we do with my career, I'm not going to sit here waiting, I'll stay active and we will look for other fights in the meantime," Campbell said.
Although the plan for now is for Campbell to remain active, his WBC world title plans will be more clear once the status of the belt is clear. Garcia, the WBC and IBF lightweight champion, was ordered by the IBF to fight mandatory challenger Richard Commey and the fight appears headed to a purse bid. Garcia is currently on the brink of signing a major fight deal with IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr., meaning his two lightweight titles could potentially be vacant.
"As soon as Mikey makes a decision as to what is happening, we can make a plan for it, if he vacates or keeps the WBC belt, we can plan from there. The main thing is to stay active," Campbell said.
The 31-year-old Campbell, who unsuccessfully challenged for the WBA title in 2017, won a title eliminator against Yvan Mendy on September 22.