Donald Cerrone competed in the main event of UFC Fight Night Ottawa, defeating Al Iaquinta by unanimous decision.
If there is one thing that would disappoint Cerrone right now, it would be if the UFC decided not to give him a shot at the UFC Lightweight Title.
“For the UFC not to give me a title shot, I would step back, and I would be thoroughly disappointed,” Cerrone said after the event (via Steven Marrocco & Mike Bohn of MMA Junkie). “I’d be like, ‘Wow, a guy who’s done all this in the sport. I don’t trash talk, I go in there, and I deliver every time, and you’re going to overlook me for somebody else?’ I’d be really upset. I’d be like, ‘Wow, that’s the company I look for?’ Which, I’m not saying is going to happen, by any means.”
Cerrone sits at #8 in the UFC lightweight division rankings, but that number is expected to change when the rankings are updated on Tuesday.
It is unknown at this time if Cerrone will get the title shot, but a bout with former two division UFC champion Conor McGregor would appease Cerrone at this time.
“On the flip side, if Conor wants to fight, (expletive) yeah,” Cerrone said. “Let’s go. Especially in July, I’m ready. Let’s turn and burn, baby, because (the winner of Nurmagomedov vs. Poirier) wont’ be ready until September.”
The lightweight contender said he won’t chase McGregor for a potential fight, as McGregor hasn’t competed since UFC 229 last year.