Here is your fight-size update for Monday, March 8, 2021:
- Ahead of his WWE Championship defense against The Miz, Bobby Lashley spoke with TheWrap about how important it is for him to be WWE Champion and why he doesn't consider himself a babyface or a heel.
"I’ve been learning more and more about how huge it is the last few days. Just my son also, my son looks to me, my son sees me. My son is really big into football and kids like my son, they look around at somebody to emulate in idols and everything like that. It kind of makes him feel really good, too, not just being Black, but being Black and being my son. So it’s huge for me and when I was growing up too — and it doesn’t really matter what race you are, because you always look at somebody as a person first — but when I was growing up, there were different people that I would take a little special liking to, of course, just growing up. Just because they are Black, they are like you, and you can see yourself in them. So I think it’s very important that I won it."
"Let me tell you like this, I never put myself in that babyface-or-heel [polarity]. You lean to the heel side a little bit more because you guys just do what you want to do. But we’re not doing anything bad. I go out there and rough people up, so I guess I should be. But I think my character, who I am, kind of transcends that babyface-heel thing. I think it really depends on who I go against. I mean, if somebody else can bring your level up to being just a nasty heel that just does some very nasty stuff, then you know what… Look, even with The Miz, when I went against The Miz last Monday, people were kind of cheering for me and they were booing for Miz. So it was kind of like I was leaning toward the babyface side and Miz was almost the heel side, but he played the heel perfect."
- Speaking on a media call after the AEW Revolution pay-per-view, Tony Khan (via WrestleZone) said that women can be main eventing AEW Dynamite in the very near future.
“Very soon. It’s going to happen. What if I told you it was going to happen incredibly soon, like in the next several weeks? I have a feeling that might happen.”
“I think every record’s meant to be broken, number one. I couldn’t be prouder. I think the world of them both. To be honest with you, I would like to see my daughter break it. Randy Orton has expressed the sentiment to me too. Who knows? It’s funny because I would love to see Randy break it. John, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to John breaking it, but I think the person that breaks it needs to be a full-time performer, just because I think it’s better for the company, not that it matters who the individual is.
"I got all 16 of them in 20 years. It’s hard to imagine, but I can see John, Randy, or Charlotte doing it. I will say to her sometimes there are so many big matches for her. There’s another huge match with her and Sasha [Banks], another huge match with her and Bianca Belair [and] another huge match with her and Rhea Ripley if they have the time. They certainly have the chemistry if they have the opportunity to build those. That’s just to name a couple."
- AJ Lee is proud to see how far new NXT signee Cora Jade has come.
Look at my children thriving— AJ Mendez (@TheAJMendez) March 8, 2021
- IMPACT Wrestling wants fans to vote for their favorite X-Division Title bouts to become part of a free playlist
- Dominic Garrini is the latest name announced to be competing in ICW’s PitFighter X event during WrestleMania weekend in Tampa, Florida.
Built for THE PIT! https://t.co/85Ecd90W3l— The Struggles (@TheStruggles23) March 8, 2021
- Virtual Basement says they still have more than 50 signed wrestlers but they have yet to announce for their upcoming video game, “The Wrestling Code.”
A lot of people are sending dm's wondering when next announcement will be. --— Virtual Basement (@VirtualBasement) March 8, 2021
Our team is working full speed on development at moment and we have around 50+ signed talent not officially announced yet!
Lots of updates on the way.--@real1 pic.twitter.com/09AEhWiBZJ
- Check out everything you need to know before WWE Monday Night Raw at this link, and don't forget to check out our live coverage beginning tonight at 8 Eastern Time.
- Roman Reigns recently went sneaker shopping with Complex.
- On the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer explained why Maki Itoh’s American debut in AEW was not advertised beforehand, stating that because of the short window of time, a potential flight delay could have halted the appearance making it easier to promote a mystery partner. You can check out Fightful's interview with Maki Itoh at this link.
- Today, WWE stock closed at $56.75 per share. This was an increase of 4.13%
- Make sure you are subscribed to Fightful Select. A subscription grants you early access to interviews, Q&A opportunities, early looks at breaking news, and more. Also, make sure to check us out on YouTube and Twitch.