Before every year's Royal Rumble event, we provided you with a bevy of stats and facts about the event. We're back for WrestleMania 37 with even more.
Below are dozens of stats and facts on WrestleMania:
This year's show
- Shane McMahon is the only wrestler over 48 years old scheduled to compete at WrestleMania. The last few years had featured Goldberg, Kurt Angle, Triple H, The Undertaker, all over 50.
- Braun Strowman and Shane McMahon are booked for the first "steel cage match" at WrestleMania since WrestleMania 2. There have been several Hell in a Cell matches, however.
This weekend will be the first time since WrestleMania 4 in 1988 that none of The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels or Triple H wrestled on the WrestleMania card. Triple H is interchangeable with Kurt Angle and the Hardy Boyz as well.
- This is the second straight year that an Andre the Giant Battle Royal will not be featured on the actual WrestleMania show.
- Edge has competed in 12 WrestleMania matches, and has only been pinned or submitted in two of them.
- Sasha Banks' match with Bianca Belair will be her first one-on-one match at WrestleMania.
- Roman Reigns vs. Edge vs. Daniel Bryan will be the fourth triple threat main event since 2014. All of them featured a Royal Rumble winner competing for the title and someone else being added to the match.
- Heath Slater is the only man to be in all six Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royals. That will end in 2021, although he'll still have been in every one to actually be on WrestleMania.
- WrestleMania 37 is happening later in the year than any WrestleMania of all-time. The previous latest was April 8 in 2018, three days sooner than day 2 this year.
- This is the first time in Triple H's career he hasn't competed at two straight WrestleManias.
- By the end of WrestleMania 37, seven nights of WrestleMania will have aired from Florida since 2008. Five WrestleMania shows have emanated from Florida since then.
- WrestleMania 37 will be the lowest attended (besides 36) since WrestleMania 22 in 2006.
- WrestleMania 36 was Drew Gulak's first WrestleMania match ever, and Liv Morgan, Natalya and Cesaro's first one-on-one match ever at WrestleMania.
- Dolph Ziggler had never had a one-on-one match at WrestleMania before WrestleMania 36.
- WrestleMania 36 was Sami Zayn's first PPV singles match since Bobby Lashley at Money in the Bank 2018.
- WrestleMania 36 was the first in which Seth Rollins competed and didn't win a match. He lost in 2015, but eventually won the WWE Title.
- AJ Styles and Drew McIntyre were both first-time WrestleMania main eventers at WrestleMania 36.
- For the second straight year, the Universal and WWE Titles changed hands at WrestleMania 36.
- The NXT Women's Championship was defended at WrestleMania for the first time ever at WrestleMania 36.
- Charlotte Flair has walked in to WrestleMania as Divas Champion, and also competed for the WWE Women's, Raw Women's, Smackdown Women's and NXT Women's Championships at WrestleMania.
- Edge has appeared at WrestleMania events across four decades, but hasn't competed across four decades as he didn't wrestle at WrestleMania 15.
- Former UFC fighters both lost title matches on each night of WrestleMania 36. Bobby Lashley, who fought in Strikeforce, also lost.
- Sasha Banks moved to 0-5 at WrestleMania 36, and had never had a one on one match at the show. She's competed for a title at all but one of the shows.
- WrestleMania 36 was the first and only without fans.
- WrestleMania 35 was the first main event to feature women in show history.
- Aleister Black & Ricochet lost Raw, Smackdown and NXT Tag Team Title matches over week of WrestleMania 35
- There were ten singles matches for WrestleMania 35. There were six the year prior. Technically you could argue that WrestleMania X8 had more because of all the Hardcore matches, but aside from that it's the most since WrestleMania 4's 13 televised singles matches.
- Samoa Joe beating Rey Mysterio in one minute at WrestleMania 35 was the shortest Mania match since the Rock vs. Erick Rowan in 2016, and the shortest scheduled match since Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan in 2011.
- For the first time in his career, Shane McMahon had competed at four consecutive WrestleMania events into WrestleMania 35.
- The Batista vs. Triple H match was the longest of the night at 24:45. Rey Mysterio vs. Samoa Joe was the shortest at 1:00.
- The nearly five years in between matches before Batista's WrestleMania 35 outing was the longest in his career.
- Kofi Kingston had the longest uninterrupted tenure of employment of any wrestler in WWE history to win their first WWE Championship. Well, besides Vince McMahon.
- The Undertaker holds the record for most consecutive WrestleMania match appearances, with 18. This was snapped in 2019.
- 22 of Undertaker's 26 WrestleMania matches were against eventual or former world champions, Hall of Famers, or WrestleMania headliners.
- The Undertaker has never successfully defended a title at WrestleMania. Both of his title wins were as a challenger.
- The Undertaker ended his career at 25-2 in WrestleMania matches.
- The Undertaker became the first man to main event WrestleMania across four decades. He's also won across four decades.
- King Kong Bundy, A-Train and Giant Gonzalez were Undertaker's only WrestleMania opponents to not win a WWE, World Heavyweight or Universal Title, or otherwise be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Undertaker has defeated wrestlers that have or became WWE, Universal, World Heavyweight, NWA, TNA, IWGP Heavyweight, ROH World, WCW and ECW Champions at WrestleMania
- Undertaker has more WrestleMania matches than anyone, at 27. Only he and Triple H have more than 17.
- Aside from the Hardcore title, Yokozuna is the only wrestler to win and lose the same title at WrestleMania (WrestleMania 9).
- Yokozuna was in four WWF title matches over the course of WrestleMania 9 & 10.
- The shortest WrestleMania main event was Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna at WrestleMania 9.
- Yokozuna competed in six matches in his WrestleMania career, which was only four events.
- Yokozuna's WrestleMania opponents included Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Lex Luger, Billy and Bart Gunn, British Bulldog, Owen Hart and Vader.
Win- Loss Records
- Tito Santana had 7 straight WrestleMania losses.
- Rob Van Dam, Road Warriors, Sable and Ax are all unbeaten at WrestleMania.
- Sable holds the most dominant women's WrestleMania record, 3-0. Paige and AJ Lee are 2-0.
- The Miz had never been pinned or submitted at WrestleMania until WrestleMania 33
- Yokozuna and Cesaro are the only wrestlers to pull double duty at WrestleMania two years in a row.
- Ax/Smash as a team are 3-0 at Wrestlemania. Without Ax, Demolition Members are 0-6 at Wrestlemania.
- LOD and Ax & Smash are the most successful Wrestlemania teams, both at 3-0. The Dudley Boyz are 0-4.
- Jeff Hardy was 0-5 at WrestleMania until WrestleMania 33, where he finally won a match.
- Goldust is winless in 10 matches, R-Truth is winless in 7. Brian Adams/Crush is 0-4, as is Fit Finlay.
- Virgil, Terry Funk, Mr T., Tom Prichard, are all 2-0 at WrestleMania.
- Seth Rollins had won a match at all six WrestleMania events in which he's competed until 2020. He lost to Rnady Orton in 2015, but won the WWE World Heavyweight Title that night.
- John Cena has competed for a championship or went on last at all but 4 WrestleManias in which he has wrestled. 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2020 are the exceptions. He now hasn't closed a WrestleMania since 2013.
- John Cena has won 4 world titles at WrestleMania, more than anyone else.
- WrestleMania 30 was the first not headlined by John Cena, Triple H or Undertaker since WrestleMania 19.
- John Cena only had one advertised WrestleMania match between 2016 and 2019, and no advertised singles matches during that period. He's only had one advertised, in-ring match between 2016 and 2021, since Firefly Funhouse was taped, and his match with Undertaker wasn't advertised.
- King Kong Bundy (28) was the only person under 30 to headline WrestleMania until 1993.
- Yokozuna (26-27), King Kong Bundy (28), Shawn Michaels (29), The Rock (26-28), Big Show (28), Brock Lesnar (25), John Cena (28-29), Randy Orton (29), Roman Reigns (29), Seth Rollins (28) would all go on to headline WrestleMania under 30 years old.
- Roman Reigns at 29, was the first man under 30 to headline WrestleMania since Randy Orton. Technically Seth Rollins, who was 28, also main evented WrestleMania 31.
- Nicholas was the youngest WrestleMania competitor ever. He won the WWE Raw Tag Team Titles with Braun Strowman at WrestleMania 34.
- Over the course of 9 WrestleMania events from 2003-2011, the Intercontinental Title was only defended once, and only for 21 seconds.
- The World Heavyweight title changed hands at WrestleMania or within 2 weeks of WrestleMania every year from 2004-2013.
- Rey Mysterio competed for the World Heavyweight Title, Cruiserweight Title, United States and the Intercontinental Title at WrestleMania. He also went into WrestleMania 21 as a tag team champion.
- The Miz has competed for the WWE Title, Intercontinental Title, Tag Team Title, and the Andre The Giant Memorial trophy at WrestleMania. He also competed in a match to determine WWE's permanent GM.
- Five Intercontinental champions have retained their title while losing matches at WrestleMania.
- Every 10th WrestleMania has featured two title challengers for one title. Batista and Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania 30, Chris Benoit and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 20, and Lex Luger and Bret Hart at WrestleMania 10 .
- The WWE Divas Title went undefended at WrestleMania between WrestleMania 24-29.
- Razor Ramon was featured on the WrestleMania 12 poster, although he did not have a match on the card. He was slated to face Goldust, but was pulled from the show and replaced with Roddy Piper.
- A member of DX/The Kliq (More specifically Shawn Michaels or HHH) had wrestled at every WrestleMania since 1989 until 2020.
- Diesel was the only WWE Champion in the 1990's to show up and leave WrestleMania with the title.
- The tag team title match in 2020 was the 13th ladder match in WrestleMania history
- WrestleMania 21 had no tag team matches, and WrestleMania 2000 had no one-on-one male singles matches.
- Braun Strowman, Carmella, Matt Hardy, Baron Corbin, Big Show, Cesaro, Yoshi Tatsu, Santino Marella, Kane, Viscera, Great Khali, Booker T, Iron Sheik, Andre The Giant, Bad News Brown, D'Lo Brown, Mojo Rawley and Test have all won battle royal matches at WrestleMania.
Celebrities, Retirements and Departures
- The Undertaker, John Cena, Brock Lesnar (2020), Ronda Rousey, Kurt Angle, Batista (2019), Nicholas (2018), The Rock (2016), Maria Menunous (2012), Snooki (2011), Mr. McMahon (2010), Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka (2009), Floyd Mayweather (2008), all wrestled in the last PPV of their wrestling careers at WrestleMania, as of this writing. Several members of the 2014 and 2015 battle royals haven't wrestled on PPV since.
- Colin Jost, Michael Che (2019), Tian Bing (2017), Shaquille O'Neal, DDP, Tatanka (2016) all had their last PPV matches in WrestleMania battle royals.
- WrestleMania 35 was the seventh straight WrestleMania where a part-timer closed the show.
- Snooki, Mayweather, Lawrence Taylor, Akebono, Butterbean, Maria Menounous, and Mr. T- Celebrities and athletes are 8-0 in Wrestlemania non-battle royal matches. None would ever wrestle in the WWE again.
- Pete Rose has appeared for WWE more times than he has in an official WWE capacity at WrestleMania in the past 25 years than he has for MLB.
- In the first 15 WrestleMania events, 33 matches ended in DQ, no contest, countout or draw. Since then, only one has.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin forgot his vest and had to wear a t-shirt to the ring at WrestleMania 15.
- Tons of Funk vs. Rhodes Scholars & Bella Twins (2013) as well as Smoking Gunns, Tatanka, 1-2-3 Kid & Bob Holly vs. Headshrinkers, I.R.S, Rick Martel, & Jeff Jarrett (1994) were cut from WrestleMania shows at the last minute due to time.
- Rikishi (Rikishi, The Sultan, Fatu) appeared at WrestleMania under three personas. Charles Wright (Kama, Papa Shango, The Godfather, The Goodfather), appeared under four.
- Bam Bam Bigelow was the only man who held ECW's incarnation of the ECW title who main evented a Wrestlemania.
- Before his 2011 World Heavyweight Title Match, Alberto Del Rio had gone winless in his previous 5 TV matches.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin has served as a special guest referee at three WrestleMania events since retiring.
- There have been three hair vs. hair matches at WrestleMania. Adrian Adonis vs. Roddy Piper (WrestleMania 3), Victoria vs. Molly Holly (WrestleMania 20), and Umaga vs. Bobby Lashley (WrestleMania 23)
- There were only 21 matches to end in submission at the first 31 WrestleMania events.
- DDP drove Greg Valentine, Jimmy Hart and Honky Tonk Man to the ring at WrestleMania 6.
- Although their faces weren't uncovered, Hideo Itami, The Revival, Chad Gable, Simon Gotch, Oney Lorcan, Enzo Amore, Elias Samson, Blake and Murphy, were extras in Triple H's WrestleMania 32 entrance.
- CM Punk was an extra in John Cena's entrance during WrestleMania 22 in Chicago.